Big things are happening over on our end and I'm excited to share them with you all!
- First of all, we're at the end of Rob's law enforcement academy! We literally have a week left to go until he graduates and we're absolutely ecstatic. Granted this is just the beginning of our LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) life so we will have many more trials and tribulations to come but this phase (and living apart 5 days of the week) is finally drawing to a close. Out of 136 cadets, only 83 are graduating and I am unbelievably proud of Rob for making it to the end. I'm also very excited to live with my husband again.
- Secondly, we are moving to the East Bay! Rob got his assignment in the East Bay and we are moving to a city we've fallen in love with (that often gets rave reviews) along with quite a few of our friends. The nice thing is that the East Bay is only 1.5 - 2 hours away from home so I haven't started hyperventilating yet. Yet being the key word.
Recently I spent my first day wandering the city by myself (the city being San Francisco) and it might have been the chilly temps but it felt like I took a breath of fresh air that I haven't taken in a long time. I even rode BART solo for the first time and despite my anxiety, I found it easy and enjoyable. I think this new phase in our life will give me a lot of time to push past my comfort zone and maybe learn more about myself too. But having friends nearby is awesome, one of my besties Eva and I definitely had some oysters at Hog Oyster Island that night. They were superb.
- In conjunction with our move, I will be moving into the FUNnemployment pool very soon! Rob and I decided now would be the perfect time to explore what it is I want to do next and I feel lucky to have the ability to do a little soul searching in a new city. For now, I want to work on supporting him as he phases in as an officer and try to pursue some of my hobbies too. We'll see what comes next, my work life will officially be a work in progress.
- After we make the move, we're taking a mini 3 day trip to Vegas to decompress and celebrate after graduation. Then the next day, I will be going on a cruise to Ensenada for my friend Steph's bachelorette. I'm becoming quite the gypsy traveler my friends.
The upcoming 3 weeks are hectic and beyond crazy for us as we move to the East Bay, prepare for Rob's graduation party, and take a few trips. I just wanted to take some time to update anyone who still reads this old thing and hopefully this is an announcement that Simply Evani will be back up and running soon with all the new free time I'll have.
Miss you all! Let me know what you've been up to in the comments below!
Lol not sure why but when I was brainstorming blog titles, that Oprah meme of "You get a ______!" popped into my head and then I stuck the word update into the blank spot and called it day. The fact I had to explain means it wasn't a very good title but now ya know.
So update-wise, here's what we've got goin on:
- Rob has been in the academy for 13 weeks now! Isn't that insane? We are halfway done with his time there. Surprisingly enough, I feel like I've adjusted well to his absence and I've realized how capable I am in doing lots of things without him. That's not to say I don't miss him constantly but it wasn't a huge existential crisis like I thought it'd be. Now I'm just praying he makes it all the way!
- Also, he's lost 50 lbs so far and looks incredible. Sometimes it feels like I went and got myself a new man. Haha. Sorry the most recent photo I have is Halloween....
- Hunter is 7 months old and growing! He's officially "longer" than Shay but much thinner and when they wrestle, it's become much more of a fair fight.
- I've restarted meeting with a trainer at the gym again and it's every bit as painful as when I started up last year. Mehhhhhhh.
- Oh! I chopped off some hair lately. It's probably the shortest it's ever been in 5 years but in all actuality, it's not really short at all. I'll try and snap a good picture to show you soon.
- My baby sister turned 18 recently and I'm taking her to Disneyland this weekend to celebrate! I haven't been in 6 months (I know, whaaaaaaa!?!) sooooooo expect a flurry of Disney photos on my Instagram this weekend. And the holiday decor is up already! Sorry I'm not sorry... 😀
Amazing photo via Tours Departing Daily
What have you been up to? Give me the deets in the comment section, because I miss you!
Well its official, I'm crossed over the midway mark of the 20s and am officially closer to 30 than I am to 21. Haha thank God for that, 21 was a year I couldn't possibly do again. 😉
26 man, it feels good. Also, can I tell you how excited I am to turn 26 on the 26th?! For someone who has a weird thing about even numbers, it makes my OCD heart sing.
What's changed since 25?
- Rob and I moved in to Midtown together. (We moved in a few days after my 25th birthday)
- We ended up adopting not 1, but 2 dogs together. Our Shay and Hunter.
- Had the best bachelorette night ever in Vegas. Epic.
- I started my first management position at work.
- I took my first overnight work trip and had a hotel room solo for the first time ever.
- I met the Backstreet Boys, fulfilling my 12 year old dreams.
- After 8 years together, Rob and I finally tied the knot.
- Then we took our first international trip together to Cabo.
- I feel madly, passionately, deeply in love with Cabo. (ha)
- Rob started a live-in law enforcement training academy.
It's been a busy year, and a BIG one for major life transitions. For someone who's not keen on change, this year has been ALL about change and 26 isn't looking any different!
So for my 26th birthday, I've decided to give myself a new yearly challenge, largely based on my new obsession with Gordon Ramsay and the desire to be a skilled wife in the kitchen. For the next 365 days, I will challenge myself to cook 1 gourmet meal a week. Gourmet is up to interpretation, since some weeks will be lamb chops with balsamic reduction and others might be a simple go-to mashed potato recipe (that can become a staple on our Thanksgiving table) but I'm looking to improve my skills in the kitchen, learn how to work with more unique ingredients but also find some signature dishes that I'll make forever. I'm also on the hunt for a Le Creuset (thanks to Rima, Melissa and Gordon) to help me achieve my goal so let me know if you spot any for a good price!
I am so lucky to have lived such a blessed life, largely thanks to my wonderful parents. How they raised a child (as crazy as me) at 19 is utterly beyond me and everything good in my life, I owe to them. Thanks for eating oranges for dinner when all you could afford was baby formula, I love you Mommy and Daddy!
My first birthday party!
A now aged and old Evani
It's been about 4 weeks since I last chimed in here on the good ole blog so I figured I'd catch you up to speed on how things are going:
- So if you read my last entry, you'll know that Rob started a live-in academy to become a law enforcement officer which means I've been living like a single gal Monday-Friday. Which is only partially true because I go home to see my family often (an easy 20 minute drive down the freeway) so I'm usually only alone 1-2 days a week. The upside to living solo? My choice of dinner!
Ahi poke is so tasty and easy to make and I shucked those oysters all by myself at home! Only have a few battle wounds from the shucking knife but I survived.
- I have to brag about how proud I am of my husband. Rob is working his butt off in that academy. It was a big adjustment for both of us but we're starting to understand our new normal and we're already 1 month down, so only 5 months to go. And because I can't get over it, let me show you how much weight Rob has lost in 1 month at the academy:
He's going to be at his high school weight by the end of this, and probably more!
- I really thought by now, I might've put Hunter in a box with a sign that said "free puppy" outside our local grocery store. Okay... not really but I wasn't sure I could handle a 4 month old puppy by myself on top of working full time but luckily, I've discovered that I can. He's growing so fast and it breaks my heart everyday because I want him to stay miniature. I'm crying just looking at these photos, where has my puppy gone?!?
- So now you might be asking yourself, "What the heck has Evani been up to with all her free time without blogging?" The answer to that question is a general "nothing." Except for the fact I have become recently obsessed with cooking shows and cooking in general. There will be more on this later, in my 26th birthday post on Friday!
- My free time also goes to co-managing all of mine and Rob's fantasy football teams. And by co-managing, I mean I'm actually managing, because Rob has so little time to be invested in anything beyond his well being at the academy. So I'm currently running 6 fantasy football teams including my AMAZING Girls of the Gridiron league!! Which somehow I'm in last place... hmmmm.
- I fell for yet another Apple trap and I have the iPhone 6. The screen size is wonderful. So. In. Love.
So what's new with you?? Share something new or exciting to me in the comments below and I'll make sure to pop over to your blog and read the last few posts!