Cookies on Parade
This entry is for the cookie lovers out there! One of my favorite cookies has to be Mother's Cookies Circus Animals. For those of you who didn't notice a shortage, Mother's Cookies almost went out of business in 2008 but Kellogs (bless their soul) acquired the company and brought them back. So just in case they disappear forever, I figured I'd try my hand at doing a home made batch.
The finished product
* Derived from a recipe at Culinary Concoctions
7.5 cups of flour
4.5 cups powdered sugar
4 sticks of unsalted butter softened (8 oz)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp cream of tartar
1. Beat the powdered sugar and butter for 3-5 minutes until smooth at medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time and scrape the bowl after each egg. Add vanilla and mix for 2 more minutes.
2. Mix in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar while mixer is on slow speed. Mix til you have a smooth dough. At one point, my tiny mixer couldn't take it anymore so when the dough felt solid, I pulled it out and hand kneaded it myself for additional mixing. The ball of dough was HUGE! I mean the size of a dodegeball.
3. Chill in the fridge for 4 hours.
4. When ready, roll out dough and cut using cookie cutters. I found a Noah's Ark animal cookie pack at Jo-Anns and they were the perfect size and shape! For a normal oven, you would preheat to 375. I wanted to try baking only a few cookies at a time so I stuck them in our toaster oven at 375 for a few minutes (less clean up!)
Tidbits:The cookies are UNBELIEVABLY good but just like circus animals, they harden fast (don't expect soft and doughy). I didn't want 180 circus cookies to go hard so I just portioned out dough, rolled, cut and cooked small batches nightly for dessert.
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp vanilla (Maybe less, look below)
Red food coloring
1. Whisk the sugar, milk and vanilla together until smooth. Set half of the icing aside to be white, and place 1 drop of red food coloring to make the pink icing. Dip the cookies and throw some rainbow sprinkles on top!
Tidbit: I would recommend LESS vanilla. My icing ended up a little to sweet for my liking so for additional cookies, I took pre-bought Strawberry icing and used that instead. I got better feedback from Strawberry icing.
I'm so happy with how they turned out! After 3 nights of circus animals desserts, we still have a sizable ball of sugar cookie dough in the fridge. I'd call this mission a success.
“Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.” - Drake
I was fortunate enough to see Drake in concert when he performed at UC Davis last Wednesday and I gotta tell ya, it was one of the best concerts of my life. You know those people who perform live that sound completely different than on the CD (I'm sorry Katy Perry, I love you but it's true...)? Drake sounded like a BETTER version of his CD. He even went acoustic and romantic with the crowd doing personal shout outs. Who would've thought Jimmy from Degrassi had it in him? Definitely the best money we've spent this year. If you can't stand his songs on the radio, listen to this song:
I took this at the concert!